Geburtshaus Zürcher Oberland has three birthing rooms, all of which are equipped with a birthing pool.
There are three birthing rooms at the birthing centre: a large one called White Lotus and a smaller one called Red Lotus. In addition, our treatment room can also quickly be converted into a birthing room with pool should the need arise.
Equipment in the birthing rooms
In addition to a wide bed for resting in, a range of tried-and-tested aids for active labour will be available to you during the birth:
- Birthing pool so that you can take a relaxing bath. The warm water helps youth cope with the contractions and softens the perineum, and so reduces the risk of tearing. Our episiotomy rate is 0-1% on average, which is extremely low; for hospital births, this figure can be up to 50%.
- Birth ball for rotating your hips or for use as support in the all-fours position.
- Birth stool with a soft mat so that you can make the best possible use of gravity.
- Wall bars, which give you stability and take advantage of gravity.
- Suspended cloth, which you can use for support when standing during labour, thus taking advantage of gravity.
- A music corner with a CD player, a smartphone adapter and a number of CDs.
Incidentally, the stairs in the birthing centre and the nearby footpath are often used to assist with labour too, as climbing stairs and slow, calm walking stimulate contractions.
The paintings in the two birthing rooms, on the walls, ceilings and doors, and the crystals on the privacy screen and the walls were designed and realised by Werner Casty.