Alongside acupuncture and craniosacral therapy, we also offer other alternative treatment methods such as reflexology and naturopathy as part of our holistic maternity care services.
Thanks to the individual specialisms of the birthing centre midwives, we also offer the following alternative treatments:
Acupuncture is one of the most important treatment methods from the field of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). It involves stimulating certain points in the skin by inserting thin needles in order to eliminate blockages in the flow of energy and thus heal the health problems that the patient is suffering from.
Craniosacral therapy is a soothing form of birth preparation for the mother and the unborn child and a wonderful treatment method that ensures both mother and child are in harmony after the birth. Developed in the early 20thcentury by Dr W.G. Sutherland and other therapists, craniosacral therapy is a special form of osteopathy. This gentle, manual treatment is suitable for people of any age. It activates the body’s natural healing mechanisms by means of light palpation and the therapist’s intent focus on the craniosacral system (the skull, spine and pelvis).
Other naturopathic treatments available at the birthing centre:
- Aromatherapy, which is the controlled application of 100% natural essential oils to maintain or improve health.
- Reflexology is often successfully used to stimulate contractions. Reflexology is a naturopathic treatment that views the foot as a microcosm of the whole organism and is based on the idea that certain areas or points on the foot are connected to other parts of the body, in particular the internal organs, via what are known as reflex pathways.
- Moxibustion is primarily used as a way of turning babies which are in breech positions. Also known as moxa, moxibustion is a treatment method from the field of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) that stimulates the acupuncture points with heat, for instance from smouldering mugwort.
- Butterfly massage is a gentle form of body work for parents and babies that involves using touch in a mindful way to strengthen the bond between the parents and the child. After all, touch is the language of the heart.
- Taping supports the body’s self-healing mechanisms by means of biochemical and sensory principles. It restores normal muscle tone, alleviates pain, activates the lymph system and supports the functioning of the joints.
Arranging an appointment
Ask the midwife about our therapies at your next antenatal check-up. She will be happy to inform you about the various possibilities and advise you about which form of treatment is suitable for you.
Advice and courses
The therapy offering at Geburtshaus Zürcher Oberland is rounded off by the following courses and consultations.
- Antenatal courses for first-time parents; a specific course is held for mothers who have given birth before and their partners between 2 and 5 p.m. every third Saturday of the month.
- Courses for siblings: “I’m going to be a big sister/big brother!”
- Counselling after difficult birth experiences
- Couples counselling
- Individual lactation consultations
Good to know
The services listed above (therapies, courses and consultations) are open to anyone, i.e. they can also be attended by people who do not wish to give birth at the birthing centre.
Our courses are held in German. Please call us on 044 939 99 00 to enquire about courses in other languages.